DAD, an operator in the ‘advice economy’ has secured £2 million in seed funding from HomeServe to launch its video visit service.
DAD is a company that connects consumers with an expert in domestic maintenance who provides DIY tips and expert advice to help fix anything from a dodgy door handle to a broken boiler.
This means that consumers no longer have to endure expensive call-outs or wait for plumbers, electricians and handymen to turn up at their home. Now they can simply download the app and hit call to start a ‘video visit’ and speak with an expert in home repairs who can help them fix or diagnose the problem.
The company has secured £2 million in funding from HomeServe to expand its services. Calls cost £10 from any smartphone calling from the UK with no time limit put on the call.
“My Dad has always been my go-to person for practical advice around the home. The idea for DAD came a couple of years ago when I was trying to change a bathroom tap. Having swapped the old tap for a new one, I turned the water back on and instantly everything was soaked.
“My Dad was away travelling, enjoying his retirement, so I called him on FaceTime and he guided me through what to do. I realised that if I found myself in such a DIY disaster others would too, so I started DAD,” said Ben Wynn, Founder and CEO, DAD.
The experts have a lifetime of experience and are vetted by the DAD team. They work in three-hour shifts and can be anyone from a retired tradesman who wants to work a couple of hours a day to an ex-service engineer or skilled handyman who prefers a flexible working week.
The company believes that what people usually think is broken can often be fixed with the help of an expert via a video visit. The proof of concept stage showed that 60% of all problems can be solved over the phone. The other 40% were fixed via a home visit from a qualified and vetted partner.